Uniform, work clothing and tools - Tax Retriever

Uniform, work clothing and tools

Does your employer issue you with a uniform or protective clothing but doesn’t provide facilities to keep it clean?  If so, then you are entitled to claim an allowance against your taxable income.

You may also be able to make a claim for replacing or repairing tools required to do your job for example, scissors or an electric drill.

What can I claim for?

You can either claim:

  • A flat rate deduction

Flat rate deductions are set amounts that HM Revenue and Customs has agreed, these are based on amounts typically spent each year by employees in different occupations.

You don’t need to keep records of what you’ve paid for if you claim a flat rate deduction.

  • For what you’ve spent – you’ll need to keep receipts

Start Your Claim

What is classed as a uniform?

Uniform tax relief is allowed for clothing that is recognisably a uniform or part of a uniform, where the employee is required to wear it to perform their job. Some uniforms are easily recognised (e.g. ambulance crew, fireman, nurse, police officer, soldier) but other forms of uniform may be less obvious. These include company branded clothing (e.g. logos or company name on a shirt, coat or overalls). Another common type of uniform is protective clothing such as high visibility jackets, trousers and vests that must be worn for particular jobs or tasks.

In other words, you can claim tax relief for anything that is ‘discernibly a uniform’ and is not your own clothing.
Start Your Claim

How far back can I make a claim for?

You can make a uniform tax or equipment rebate claim for the previous 4 tax years, so if you have not already claimed that’s a lump sum waiting for you.

Be proactive and ‘start your claim now’
Start Your Claim

Surely HM Revenue and Customs would have notified me if I had overpaid tax?

This is a common question we’re asked and the simple answer is ‘NO’, HM Revenue & Customs will only issue you with a uniform tax refund if you make a claim.

If you don’t make a claim within 4 years then you lose this relief completely.

Using our online claim system we are able to process your claim under 5 minutes and help you reclaim the maximum amount of tax allowable.
Start Your Claim

So how much tax can I expect to receive back?

The amount of tax you will receive depends on a number of factors, the tax bracket you are in i.e 20%, 40% or 45%, the industry you work in and whether or not you have made a claim already.

For example:

Samantha Jones is a stewardess (uniformed cabin crew) and has held this position for the last 7 years, she is a basic rate tax payer (20%) and has never made a claim for her uniform allowance.

Samantha is entitled to the following tax rebate and does not need to provide receipts for HM Revenue & Customs:

  • Year ending 5th April 2014 – £ 144.00
  • Year ending 5th April 2015 – £ 144.00
  • Year ending 5th April 2016 – £ 144.00
  • Year ending 5th April 2017 – £ 144.00

Total tax rebate – £ 576.00

Not bad for completing a 5 minute online form – START YOUR CLAIM NOW.
Start Your Claim

Track my claim

Please use our claim tracker to track the status of your current claim. All you need is the email address you used to process your claim and the unique reference number we emailed to you on successfully submitting your claim.

If you have any problems please contact us using our contact form and we will look to get back to you within 48hrs. (Our office hours are 9:00 AM to 17:00 PM – Monday to Friday)

Email Address

Claim no.