Mileage and Work Travel - Tax Retriever

Mileage and Work Travel

If you have had to use your own vehicle for business use then you may be able to claim ‘Mileage Allowance Relief’ from HMRC.

What is ‘Mileage Allowance Relief’?

‘Mileage Allowance Relief’ is an approved mileage rate set by HM Revenue & Customs by which employees can claim tax free. The current rates are set at 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile for any additional miles travelled using your own vehicle (cars and vans).

Most employers do reimburse employees who claim for mileage but not all employers will pay the maximum amount as mentioned above.


Even if you have been reimbursed by your employer it is worth while checking your records to see if you are entitled to a claim.
Start Your Claim

How far back can I make a claim for?

You can make a claim for the previous 4 tax years, so if you have used your own vehicle for business use since April 2013 then you may be able to claim.

Be proactive and ‘start your claim now’
Start Your Claim

What does HM Revenue & Customs class as ‘business’ mileage?

If you have to use your own vehicle to ‘fulfil the duties of your employment’ then this is classed as ‘business’ mileage by HM Revenue & Customs, excluding travel from your home to your permanent place of work.

For example, a sales rep who has to visit customers or a construction worker who has to visit different sites.
Start Your Claim

Surely HM Revenue and Customs would have notified me if I had overpaid tax?

This is a common question we’re asked and the simple answer is ‘NO’, HM Revenue & Customs will only issue you with a tax rebate if you make a claim.

If you don’t make a claim within 4 years then you lose this relief completely.

Using our online claim system we are able to process your claim under 5 minutes and help you reclaim the maximum amount of tax allowable.
Start Your Claim

So how much tax can I expect to receive back?

The amount of tax you will receive depends on a number of factors, the tax bracket you are in i.e 20%, 40% or 45%, the amount of miles travelled and how much your employer has reimbursed you.

For example:
John Smith is a site foreman on different construction sites, he is a basic rate taxpayer (20% bracket) and he uses his own vehicle for business use.

He travels on average 10,000 miles per year and gets reimbursed 30p per mile by his employer.

If he hadn’t made a claim within the last 4 years then he would be entitled to the following tax rebate:

Year ending 5th April 2014 – £ 300.00
Year ending 5th April 2015 – £ 300.00
Year ending 5th April 2016 – £ 300.00
Year ending 5th April 2017 – £ 300.00

Total tax rebate – £ 1,200.00

Not bad for completing a 5 minute online form.
Start Your Claim

Track my claim

Please use our claim tracker to track the status of your current claim. All you need is the email address you used to process your claim and the unique reference number we emailed to you on successfully submitting your claim.

If you have any problems please contact us using our contact form and we will look to get back to you within 48hrs. (Our office hours are 9:00 AM to 17:00 PM – Monday to Friday)

Email Address

Claim no.